Thiago Morelli, DDS, MS
Meet Raleigh Periodontist Dr. Morelli
Dr. Morelli earned his doctorate in dental surgery from the University of Detroit Mercy, School of Dentistry and completed his Certificate and Masters degree in Periodontics at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Dr. Morelli is a Diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology and a Fellow of the International Team for Implantology. In 2012, Dr. Morelli moved to North Carolina to serve as a full-time professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) School of Dentistry, teaching periodontics and serving as the Director of the Periodontology and Implantology program for five years. While at UNC Chapel Hill, he received several awards acknowledging his clinical skills and excellence in teaching.
Dr. Morelli continues to teach at UNC Chapel Hill as an adjunct professor in the Department of Periodontology. He has authored numerous articles and book chapters in the fields of regenerative medicine, implant dentistry, genetics, and tissue engineering. He is highly respected in the periodontal and implant field and has received multiple industry, foundation and NIH research awards.
When Dr. Morelli is not involved in dentistry he enjoys traveling within the state of North Carolina, exploring the outdoors with his wife and two children. He also enjoys playing acoustic guitar and watching the Carolina Hurricanes.
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- IBM Faculty Development Award – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- The Educator Award – American Academy of Periodontology
- Fellow, International Team for Implantology (ITI)
- The Teaching Fellowship – American Academy of Periodontology Foundation
- American Academy of Periodontology Foundation Fellowship to the ADEA/AAL Institute for Teaching & Learning in the Health Professions
- The Abram and Sylvia Chasens Teaching and Research Fellowship American Academy of Periodontology
- First prize for the Balint Orban Memorial Competition – American Academy of Periodontology
- Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowship in Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan
- Honorable Mention in the Graduate Student Research Forum in the Midwestern Society of Periodontology, Chicago, IL
- American Academy of Osseointegration
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Association of Dental Research
- American Dental Association
- International Association for Dental Research
- International Team for Implantology
- North Carolina Dental Association
- North Carolina Society of Periodontology
- Southern Academy of Periodontology